Ulster GAA Wheelchair Hurling initiative showcases that the GAA is for all.
Back in November 2013, Ulster GAA were invited to send a team to the first ever Wheelchair Hurling tournament in Athlone. Since then, through hard work from parents and Ulster GAA’s Coaching & Games department the game has evolved into an exciting and fun experience for anyone willing to give it a go.
The Ulster GAA Provincial Wheelchair Hurling team who won the 2015 All Ireland League and Championships are showcased in the above clip.
Ulster GAA are fully committed to this programme and have just purchased 18 new sports wheelchairs to add to the 14 existing chairs. The organisation have also purchased two new vans to assist in transporting the chairs for the delivery of the following initiatives:
- Provincial Team events
- Training Hubs across the province
- National League events throughout Ireland
- All Ireland Championships
- All Star Awards
- Regional Leagues throughout Ulster
- Able bodied Inclusion events
- Family blitz days
- School & Club Give It A Go Road shows
- Coach Education courses/workshops