The Ladies Gaelic Football Association is delighted to announce that applications are now open for the 2021 Gaelic4Girls Programme.
2018 saw the LGFA celebrate the 10th anniversary of the scheme, with Armagh star Aimee Mackin acting as Gaelic4Girls ambassador and featuring in a series of hugely-popular promotional videos.
Aimee continued in this role for 2019, and has since been joined in her ambassadorial role by Roscommon Star Jenny Higgins in 2020, with even more clubs getting involved in this extremely successful player recruitment programme.
26 clubs representing 21 counties commenced in the Gaelic4Girls programme in 2020, with over 1600 girls aged between 8-12 years involved in 2019 – a huge number of players who have been exposed to Ladies Gaelic Football and a club setting for the first time.
What is Gaelic4Girls (G4G)?
G4G is a 10 week programme incorporating coaching sessions with fun non-competitive blitzes aimed at increasing participation in Ladies Gaelic Football. The programme targets girls aged between 8-12 years who are not currently registered with a Ladies Gaelic Football club. In essence, this is a tool to attract new players.
What are the aims of the Gaelic4Girls Programme?
- To increase the numbers of girls playing Ladies Gaelic football in a club.
- To provide a fun, 10 week programme of Ladies Gaelic Football activities to attract girls aged 8-12 to the club.
- To support a club in increasing their number of players, and integrate those new players into existing teams.
- To develop athletic and social skills for girls in a safe and nurturing environment.
What are the benefits of running Gaelic4Girls in your Club?
- Participation levels will be increased.
- Free training will be provided to the Coaches and Co-ordinator in your Club.
- Resources will be provided to your Club to market and advertise the Programme.
- There is the potential for your Club to become a more vibrant, active part of your local community through enhanced participation.
What clubs may apply for the G4G programme?
A Struggling Club – an already registered LGFA Club who is struggling for numbers and can show evidence that those numbers are in the Club Catchment Area.
An Established Club – an already registered LGFA Club who wants to increase participation in this age bracket and can show evidence that those numbers exist in the Club Catchment Area.
New Club – potential for a new LGFA club to form. Clear evidence must be provided to show that potential for a new club exists and appropriate structures are in place.
What does the G4G programme entail for your Club if your application is successful?
- The Club must be able to provide a co-ordinator and a minimum of 1 coach per 10 participants to run the Programme. Minimum of 2 coaches per Programme.
- All the G4G coaches and co-ordinators must attend Provincial training.
- The Club must be willing to welcome ALL new members.
- The coordinators will be provided with marketing materials e.g. flyers, posters and the Club must use this material to promote the Programme in the schools and elsewhere.
- The 10 weeks of the Programme will involve weekly coaching sessions separate to the regular U10/12/14 sessions in the Club, specifically designed for those who have not participated before.
- A Mini Blitz may be available after 10 weeks (numbers dependent).
- The Programme will cost €10 per player to cover the cost of promotional material and a programme specific jersey for each G4G participant.
- Clubs may participate in a Ready Steady Coach workshop during the programme. This workshop is aimed at providing support and assistance to new volunteers interested in helping with coaching or running a team within the Club. It is a 2 ½ hour course.
- The Club must monitor the integration of the G4G participants and ensure all those who want to continue to play Ladies Gaelic Football are registered and looked after.
The next steps:
Applications are NOW OPEN. Contact Ulster Ladies Development Officer, Ciaran Murtagh for an application form at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications are Friday 27th November.