Electric Ireland Ulster Minor Championship- Round 2 round-up

May 11th, 2019

Pic: Fintan McTiernan

Monaghan and Derry progressed to the semi-finals of the Electric Ireland Ulster Minor Football Championship as they enjoyed victories on Saturday evening.

Elsewhere, Donegal and Down progressed to the next round of the qualifiers as they enjoyed victories over Armagh and Fermanagh respectively

Monaghan took the scalp of Jim McGuigan Cup winners, Tyrone, gaining some measure of revenge for that final defeat, in Carrickmore this evening.

The Farney county led throughout netting in the opening minute through Kyle Connolly. They kept the Red Hands at arms length throughout the first half with Jason Irwin and Darragh Dempsey among those on target. Tyrone had Shea Daly, Daniel Fullerton and Mark Devlin among the points as the half time score ended 1-6 to 0-6.

Monaghan’s began the second half in a blaze and scored 1-2 without reply, Darragh Dempsey finding the net. Tyrone reduced the deficit mainly through Devlin to four points before the young Farney side goaled again, this time through Eoin Duffy. Tyrone never looked like winning from here but closed the gap as the game finished 3-8 to 0-13.

Derry meanwhile were made to work all the way by Cavan in Owenbeg. There was little to choose between the sides early, with the scores level at 0-6 apiece on 21 minutes. Jack Tully then struck for a goal to edge Cavan ahead, however, Derry clawed their way back to level things by half time.

Cavan started the brighter in the second half to take the lead but the sides were deadlocked again on 10 minutes. In the 12th minute, a Marc Dixon point gave the Oak Leaf side a lead they would not relinquish as they ran out 0-19 to 1-12 winners to progress to the semi-final.

Pic: Geraldine Diver

In Ballybofey, Donegal advanced in what was a closely fought contest with Armagh. Donegal opened the better of the two sides to lead take a 0-7 0-3 lead after 20 minutes Johnny McGroddy and Carlos O’Reilly on target.

Armagh hit back with a goal from Mark McKeever to take a 1-6 to 0-8 half time lead and the Orchard County added a second goal on the restart to press ahead 2-7 to 0-9. Shane Monaghan’s goal for Donegal 19 minutes into the second half turned the game around and he added another in injury time as Donegal eased home 2-18 to 2-12.

In Brewster Park, early points from Odhran Murdock and a goal from John McGovern helped Down into an early lead against the hosts. Further points from Cian McLoughlin, Adam Crimmins and Sean Óg McGovern helped the Mourne men into a 1-8 to 0-3 half time lead.

Fermanagh however fought right back in the second half Micheál Glynn leading the charge as he kicked five second half points. Down kept the scoreboard ticking over with Josh Gray, Murdock and McGovern all on target, the score finishing 1-12 to 0-11.

Down will now meet Tyrone next week, while Donegal and Cavan will meet for a place in the last four.