Trying to maintain academic scores and excel in sport can be challenging, particularly when you consider the amount of time you must allocate to so many different things
In particular it’s difficult when you consider the amount of time you must allocate to:
- Attending Classes / school
- Part time work
- Doing messages / chores
- Free time – Social/ family life
You quickly realise you only have a limited amount of time each day to invest in training, matches and other activities which develop your game.
Pickle Jar Theory
Watch the following video to familiarise yourself with the “Pickle Jar” time management theory.
Time Management Excercise
Knowing your schedule in advance and writing it down is a great way to manage your time. Follow the steps below;
- Step 1: Set aside some time to actually be organised. Spend approx. 20-30 Minutes over the weekend to plan the incoming week.
- Step 2: Prioritise!!! Make a list of what the important things are and allocate time to them. See example to the right. Tip: week days and weekends can be very different. It is recommended that you review these separately.
- Step 3: Print the the weekly planner here, input the items on your list from step 2. See example above. Remember to input the important things first
- Step 4: Set 2 goals for the week, (Possibly things you have been putting off for a while eg Start an assignment or book a driving lesson).
- Step 5: Add in anything else that’s important. It’s important to have balance in your life, ensure you have left space for down time, friends and family.